- 3/4 cup Bonta Dried Cannellini Beans
- 2 Smoked Ham Hocks (500 gr total weight)
- 1 1/2 cups Preferisco Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Yellow Onion, Minced
- 1 tbsp Preferisco Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 lb Bacon, Chopped fine
- 1/2 cup Chopped Carrot
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 6 sprigs Fresh Parsley
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Merchants Bay Leaves
- 3 tbsp Fresh Mint, Chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Mint sprigs for garnishing (Optional)
- Rinse the beans, place in a bowl and add water to cover generously. Soak for three hours. Drain and place in a saucepan with thyme and parsley sprigs, bay leaves, and water to cover by two inches. Over medium-high heat bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until tender, about 40-50 minutes. Drain well and throw away thyme and parsley sprigs.
- While the beans are cooking, in a soup pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion, carrot and bacon and sauté until onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the ham hocks, tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered until the ham just starts to fall away from the bone, about one hour. Add the beans and continue simmering until the ham falls from the bone, and the beans are tender, about another hour.
- Remove the ham hocks from the soup and set aside until cool enough to handle. Throw away the skin and bones and chop meat into ½ inch pieces. Add the ham back into the soup. Add chopped mint and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour soup into soup bowls, garnish with mint sprigs and serve.